Monday 25 April 2011

Food from the Pearl of the Orient Seas - Philippines (My Easter Lunch)

Hi Guys!

Firstly I'd like to say, Happy Easter To All of You! (a few minutes ago since I posted this just a few minutes past 12:00am) :)

Secondly, I'd like to comment on the posts so far. There's a nice mix of Asian and South American cultural foods which is nice to see. Also, nice post about junk food Anna. It's a nice background information about the modern eating habits of some teenagers and young adults these days. For me personally, if I'm going to eat fast food for breakfast or lunch, I will just order a small meal. For example, if I choose to have breakfast at McDonalds, I'll most likely just order 1 apple pie and 1 piece of hash brown and a small drink. This way I can have a decent meal and at the same time consume food that is not too unhealthy. Saves me money too :D

Haha anyways, my post today will be about my Easter Sunday lunch which my mum cooked. for me on Easter Sunday. It is a Filipino dish called 'Tinolang Manok' (pronounced Ti - Noh - Lang - Ma - Nok).

This is a chicken soup vegetable dish. Lots of Filipino families have their own recipes and my mum has her unique recipe too. But usually, the basic ingredients are small pieces of chicken, a variety of vegetables and soup.

But the secret ingredient is this vegetable that in the Philippines we call 'Sayote' (pronounced Sa - Yo - Te). Here in Australia, it is the green vegetable called 'Choko'. This vegetable is cut into long slices and added into the dish. It is then mixed with very small slices of ginger,onions, chili and crushed garlic. These are then all added along with the chicken pieces and soup to give the dish a nice natural flavour. I especially like eating this particular dish with sauce which is a mixture of soy sauce and lemon as well as a small portion of rice.

Below are pictures of the 'Tinolang Manok' dish and the secret ingredient.... Sayote or Choko! :)




Till next time,

Kerwin Abinoja (41758765)

No comments:

Post a Comment